View Single Post

Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 PM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyeopn View Post
JaPes...so after building your own within the same cost as the Sport what do you think? They are both nice looking rifles but IMHO I like the smoother barrel on the sport and that optic set up. But what do you think, and is the barrel on your build shorter or does it just look that way? So give us the specs on your build, I am wondering. I found suppliers for the melonite treated parts and have been looking at doing it but Adams Arms gets a ton of money for their melonite treated pieces.

The Franken-AR's barrel is 14.5" with a pinned flash suppressor. That's as short as I could go without having to file SBR paperwork with the ATF & pay the $200 tax stamp.

The barrel is M4 profile, 4150 CMV non chrome lined, 1:9 national match grade rifling, chambered for 5.56 with M4 feed ramps. I think the exterior barrel finish is mil-spec phosphate coating.

RGUNS - AR-15 Upper Receivers -5.56mm: 14.5 Inch

Second one down. I splurged the extra $10 to get the MOE hand guards.

The stripped lower is a Delaware Machinery.

Welcome to the RGUNS Internet Storefront (scroll down the home page and you'll see it.)

The lower parts are a standard kit, nothing special. I polished the sear & disconnect, and installed a JP Enterprises "Yellow" reduced power trigger spring kit.

The buffer tube & spring are generic mil-spec items. It has an H buffer in it.

At first had standard M4 stock & grip on it. (The Magpul MOE stock & MIAD pistol grip were transferred off my 15-22.)

I was using the A2 sight from my 15-Sport. I don't intend to mount an optic on it, so I added an A2 carry handle for looks.

$500 Complete 14.5 Upper w/MOE hand guard.(RGuns)
$70 Stripped Lower (RGuns)
$100 Lower build parts
$30 A2 Carry Handle (no name off Amazon)
===============
$700 OTD

MSRP 15-Sport = $739 W/O Taxes & fees.

I paid $614.99 OTD for my 15-Sport after applying $50 Cabela's promo & rewards points.

I could have had a build price around $640-ish if I opted for a 16" barrel. $610-ish w/o a carry handle. Then I really would have built something to have an apples to apples comparison to the 15-Sport.

I wanted something different so I paid a little more.

The funny thing is that if I check AR forums for opinions on the component parts & upper I used, they're pooh-poohed worse than the 15-Sport.

Google RGuns, and you'll see some nasty internet forum posts from 2009. It made me apprehensive, but RGuns was recommended by a FFL acquaintance. RGuns is local to me, so if I had any issues I figured I'd have less issues resolving them. I have nothing but good things to say about RGuns.