View Single Post

Old 02-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default 645, Help! (Long and involves gunsmithing)

I picked up a 645 at the last gun show from a FFL. I waited my 3 days (yeah, I know I should have my CWP by now), picked it up and took it to the range.

Problem #1

8 nice bangs, no slide lock. Next mag (came w/2)- 8 nice bangs...no slide lock.

I took it to the range owner and he looked it over and said it looked like the slide-stop wasn't for a 645. The pin didn't seem to go far enough through the frame. He pulled out a 1006 (that he had on layaway for a sweet $450...kicking myself for missing that one), swapped out the slide stop with mine and the slide locked after the last round on each mag.

I called the FFL and he agreed to swap it for another 645 but when I arrived the next day (A 45 min drive for me, 1 way) he didn't have that one but tried to exchange it for a 4546. I told him I wasn't interested in a DAO and he said he'd try and find me a 645 or something equal. I took the defective 645 back and am waiting on him to find me something.

While waiting, I have realized that I'm pretty in-love with this model and want to keep it. I went on Numrich's site and they're out of the "slide-stop assembly" but I noticed on the schematic that there's a "slide-stop pin" (Part # 71)that my assembly seems to be missing.

Could this be the issue? If that's it, it's a $2.35 part. If it's the whole assembly, it's $43.45 and they're sold out.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Problem #2

When I bought this 645, it was lacking the right-side "de-cock/safety lever" There's a threaded hole and notch where it should be.

I figured "How much can that cost?". From the Numrich site, again, I believe it's Part #2 for $27.75...and, once again-sold out.

My question here is: How hard is that to replace (Can i just screw it in?)? They have a whole ambi-safety assembly for $46.45...how hard is that to replace? What tools would be needed? I don't have ANY gunsmithing experience, but I catch on pretty quick.

Problem #3

I thought I had a "steal" for the price...$330 OTD. I should have listened to the little voice in my head saying "If it sounds too good to be true...". I now have $40 in gas and 3hrs drive time invested as well (FFL did say he'd come to me next time).

If he can't find another 645 in acceptable condition, should I swap it for another S&W Semi (he has a bunch of others, just mostly DAO or WAY more expensive) or just take my money back (He did say he'd give me more than I paid for the trouble)?

Should I try and fix it and ask him to make up the difference? I'd like to keep this gun, especially since it has a matching box and papers.

If it was in 90% (after fixing), would I still be even/ahead on the price? What's the estimated value in your area?

Random other questions

It does have some light surface scratching. Does polishing that out change the value +/-?

The serial # is TAK1220, would anyone know the birthday for it?

Thank You

I know this post is long, narrative, and asks for some personal opinions/guesswork. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and wisdom!