View Single Post

Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 PM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts
Default I have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo101 View Post
I have noticed in my google searches that a lot of people prefer to have a 14.5" upper with a pined/welded flash hider rather that a 16". What is the reason for this?
Functionally, no reason whatsoever. To keep the 14.5" legal without filing for a SBR & paying the $200 ATF tax stamp, the pinned flash hider 1.5" long which is longer than a regular A2 flash hider.

Aesthetically, it looks cooler. There's just something about the way it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo101 View Post
Does the 14.5 have a better advantage over the 16 that I am not aware of? Any info/help with this and any other info on great complete uppers will be greatly appreciated!
I will concede that the slightly shorter 14.5" pinned is easier to clear corners than the 16" in my home. Like a tactical-wannabe, I tried to clear the 2nd floor of my home with both.

I have read posts written by LEO's on other forums. They state that a 14.5" barreled AR is easier to get in and out of a patrol car quicker.

I also have to disclose that I live in Chicago politics controlled Illinois. Suppressors are not legal in Illinois. A pinned muzzle device precludes the use of a threaded suppressor. Since it's a moot point in Illinois, it didn't matter to me. Depending on where you live, it may or may not make a difference.

Here are some pictures comparing my 16" M&P 15-Sport and a 14.5" pinned AR I built.

My reason for building a 14.5" pinned? I already have a 16". I wanted to build something different. I think my next one will be a long barrel 20" or 24" AR.

Hope this helps.