View Single Post

Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 PM

Liked 315 Times in 123 Posts

Thanks for the good words, guys. I appreciate it.

I spent the last couple of hours cleaning up the 10-5.....and it's as nice as my initial impression indicated. This thing, I think, has barely been fired. The mechanical operation is CRISP. The bore is basically PRISTINE. The interior bits were NOT dirty at all, reinforcing my conclusion that it has been fired very little. Virtually all of the light surface rust came off with a mild buffing with oil and steel wool. Only one negative - on the side of the cylinder, in one of the flutes, I did find a small area, perhaps 1/8" sq. at most, that had active rust - and a tiny amount of pitting. Not deep enough to be a structural issue, I'm glad to say. So, I'll get some more Oxpho-Blue and do some touch-up.

I even had (another) bit of good luck with the grip (stocks). I REALLY don't like the shiny finish on the target stocks, so a refinish is a must, before shooting the gun. I had a set of Pachmayr Grippers on hand, which I got for my 10-8, originally. I didn't like the Gripper model as much as the Compac model, so the Gripper went into the spares box. My 10-8 is a round butt and the fit of the Gripper was not quite acceptable. I tried it on the 10-5, just for fun......and it fits ! It fits because, as I now discover (upon closer examination) - it is actually a SQUARE butt grip ! So, I don't even have to spend $$ on a temporary grip, while refinishing the Target stocks.

Using the Magnas is a no-go for me. I have never been able to stand them, even though the ones on this gun are pretty chunky. I don't like the T-grip adapter look, either. But, the Magnas are numbered to match the 10-5, so I'll keep them. I'll just refinish them, along with the Target stocks.

Anyway, sorry about the long post. I hope it doesn't sound as if I'm gloating - NO such intention. I just can't believe my luck.

Thanks for listening.