View Single Post

Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,003 Times in 515 Posts
Default Medallions

One thing I've been presuming all along with this revolver is that the grip medallions were pirated but actual S&W material, and I had been thinking that simply because the logo is so well rendered compared to all the obviously fraudulent markings everywhere else on the gun. Also contributing to my evaluation was that they are evidently made of plated brass, which seemed overkill for use on a gun like this.

I have now really examined these medallions, and am no longer so sure of my original thesis as regards their origin. I've compared them with genuine stock medallions from all eras in my possession, and while the style of those vary through time, none are quite an exact match. One notable aspect of the ones on the fake gun is that there is no texture in the background field whatsoever, and another questionable characteristic is that the upper central "wishbone" shaped device (which is perhaps a highly styled ampersand) does not have the upper loop of the "S" passing through its apex aperture as is usual, plus the two arms flowing down are truncated.

Thoughts on this? Are they just as phony as the gun itself?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg med.jpg (86.7 KB, 142 views)
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"

Last edited by Goony; 03-15-2012 at 10:38 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: