View Single Post

Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Sackett View Post
Well, this is my opinion, you can run 45ACP +P in it and what is that PSI/CUP rating? I would NOT go above that for one reason, well, two.

#1 is the two piece barrel. Not a big fan of that regardless. #2 is the flash shield. There have been reports of those coming off with regular loads in other systems of the same configuration. No thanks.

Now, that doesn't mean that you can't go up to the +P in my opinion. I think it is around the 20,000psi mark and Bryan Pearce has some really good 45Colt loads in that range.

You have to get a hold of the data from Handloader Magazine #246 where he tears the subject apart. It is a mandated read for reloading the 45 Colt, in my opinion again.

The one load that sticks out to me is the RCBS 45-270SAA (the bullet used for all loads in the article), that is around 285gr as cast, with HS-6 and they turned in over 1100fps! Now, I cannot remember the length of barrel that they used to test them with, but it was "normal", in the 4"-6" range.

It won't turn that from the short Governor but, it will still be a formidable round, nonetheless.

Then again, I have a 45ACP load that throws a 240gr LSWC out of a 4" tube at that same velocity so....................

FWIW

Only flake powders too, again, in my opinion.
Thanks for that info! I got that issue and that is exactly what I was looking for...a bear whacker hardcast at pressures that won't tear up my gun.

Now I just have to put some together and see how they work!

Last edited by akaviator; 03-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.