View Single Post

Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Been lurking saying HI

Been lurking on here for a long and got a lot of good info here. Thought it was time I finally made a post and introduced myself and thanked everyone who has contributed info here making my life easier.

My girlfriend actually got me the 15-22 for my B-day in Dec of '09 so it is an early rifle before they came out with all the different versions and updates, can't complain though what an awesome gift.

Has been sent back to S&W and has all updated springs and such only problem ever was one OOB and popped the extractor which is what necessitated the trip, no problems with S&W outside of taking forever to get a shipping lable, came back with blue springs and new extractor.

Have made many mods/upgrades alot with info found here.

Hogue Grip
Magpul stock (found a neat little add-on quick release sling mount specifically for the Magpul stock and obviously had to have it)
I'm a south paw so using the tip found here did the ambi safety mod, works great and cost less than 15 bucks for the second lever and only took about 20 min.
Norgon ambi mag release (again south paw)
Extended take down pins
NcStar scope with quick release mount. Not the best scope, but with dual illum and for the $ can't complain works well for plinking.
Once the scope was on really needed an extended charging handle latch and Beltfed's works great.
Really wasn't to wild about the look of the quad rail handgaurd so with the help of an adapter from Tacticool installed a midlenght handguard from Hogue.
Added a quick release sling mount to the handgaurd. Mount is actually for an SR-22 but had the perfect contour to match the handguard contour so drilled, threaded and tapped the handgaurd and mounted it.
I had always intended on getting the barrel threaded and installing a compensator. So I sent the barrel to JP Grips and had the barrel threaded (can't say enough good things about Jim at JP the work was great, the communication/professionalism was top notch and the cost was right to boot).
Problem was with the handgaurd and no gas block I thought a barrel shroud would fill in and look better. So I made my own threaded barrel shroud from a piece of aluminum and polished it.
Did the normal trigger work lightly polished the appropriate surfaces and added the JP yellow springs. No light strikes, minimal creep and breaks at 4.8lbs (stock was 6.5lbs, I figure $10 for almost a 2lb drop is worth it).

And by the way the MP15-22 is by far the most expensive gun I've ever owned as it really is a gateway gun into black guns, and inspired me to buy a .223 (and of course mod the heck out of it) and then build a 6.8spc and a .308 .

Now that I'm done rambling on. I'll throw a few pics up (a few of the others as well).
BTW name is Dane and am from the Midwest (St. Louis, MO area).

The .223

The 6.8SPC

The .308

Last edited by ultraviolet70; 03-23-2013 at 09:57 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: