View Single Post

Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAOV1MAN View Post
In 1962 I had just graduated from Army flight school. I went to a store in Chicago(Abercrombie & Fitch) and bought a Colt Python ($89.75), a browning Hi Power ($87.50) and a Randall #14 ($103.50). Still got em all. The Python needed a refinish after 3 years in the jungle and the BHP got a rework from Novaks in 1980 or so. The Randall is till chopping along. It is a bitch to sharpen well, but I got the hang of it after a few years.
Really interesting part is that this happened in Chicago, of all places a teenager over 18 could walk into a gun store and leave with the guns and ammo like now. Hard to believe........

I went to A&F in Chicago about 1972 with a college group. We were in town for a journalism convention. The store was magnificent. I loved looking at the guns, many of them quite expensive. And at Zeiss binoculars, although I couldn't afford them for some years. The store was among the most famous of outdoor outfitters, and had equipped many famous expeditions.

It was also the friendliest place I found there. Overall, the Chicago population repelled us. One guy even told an elevator operator that back home, his dog was friendlier than most people in Chicago. Oh: the Playboy Club was fun, and we had an outstanding Bunny, who was very articulate, friendly, and informative. I wrote an article about her and the club for the student newspaper and the Photo Bunny provided good pics.

It's a shame that A&F is now just a clothing store for women, owned by The Limited, I think. The name is all that survives of what was once a fine and worthy institution. I'm glad that I saw it in its heyday.