View Single Post

Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,516 Times in 5,525 Posts

I have been using Oxpho Blue for some time over-coating old Snider Enfields and find it the most durable cold blue on the market. This can be applied without cleaning the metal and even penetrates oil. Oxpho Blue does not, however, offer the darkest color, but I like the finish. Most cold blues have an acid that should be neutralized once applied, or you could end up with rust. Oxpho Blue Creme does not rust metal.

I refinish old double-barrel shotguns and have always rust blue the barrels, which is a time consuming repetitive process. Last winter, I restored an old Lefever and it was too cold outside to go through the boiling process, so I temporarily applied Oxpho Blue and found the finish to be excellent. I think I will leave it and see how long it wears.

I do not like to put a torch to metals in old guns, so find that if you boil the parts, that is plenty hot enough to apply Oxpho Blue and provides a good uniform finish with a couple of applications.

The Phillip Webley in the photo was done with 20 repetitions of rust blue. Lot of work, but gives good results. The Lefever before and after pictures with Oxpho Blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3060004.jpg (99.6 KB, 955 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0025.jpg (165.9 KB, 935 views)
File Type: jpg P3060001.jpg (101.4 KB, 974 views)