View Single Post

Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,206 Times in 2,862 Posts

Other than Roy Jinks, I don't know who has the answer to your question.

I'm glad you asked though. I was wondering the same thing the last couple of days. There have been a couple of 3 inch 66 threads in the last week that caused me to ponder this.

I was going through my reference materials last night. I found references to 3 inch model 66's being procured for the US Coast Guard, California Bureau of Narcotics (alongside 3 inch nickel model 19's) and unnamed federal agencies. Some of these were 66-3's and 66-4's.

I noticed that those who own 3 inch 66-4's all posted serial number prefix's starting with the letter C. IIRC the first two letters were CB, CA.....can't recall the rest. The reason I found this curious is that my 3 inch 66-4, non ported barrel, has a serial prefix of "BUH". I was led to believe it was part of a run of 515 3 inch 66-4's for RSR around 1996. Problem is the SCSW has this prefix at around 1994.

I also saw mention of a run of 2500 3 inch 66-4's, also non ported, with a product code of 12015, again IIRC.

The Ashland run of 3 inch 66-2's was slightly less than 5000 in two batches. The 3 inch 66-3's were made in a substantial number (based on how many appear on this and other boards as well as the auction sites) and offered for agency sale. I was always told that the 3 inch 66-4's were made in less numbers than the other variants......but I'm no longer sure of that. Then there was also the run of 500 ported barrel 3 inch 66-4's for RSR with the satin finish.

Then we get to the 3 inch 66-5 which was also built for Walther and sold as the R99 La Chasse revolver. There were several variations in the 3 inch 66-5 model. There were some which had a very similar barrel profile to the 3 inch barrel used on the 3 inch 66-4's. That is to say the sight ramp base ran up to the frame. Then there were other 3 inch 66-5's which had a heavy barrel (drain pipe ) with the sight ramp not approaching the frame. I've also seen photos of a 3 inch 66-5 from the late great member here Mr Chuck Lubbe, that had the earlier barrel profile with a polished finish and old style cylinder stop vice the integral frame bolster.

We haven't even touched on the slightly over 3 inch 66-5's with blue cylinder or the R99 La Chasse production overruns.

So I guess barring some input from some of the SWCA folks or Mr Jinks himself, one has their work cut out for them in trying to determine exactly how many 3 inch 66's were made.

I think I will start another thread on 3 inch 66 agency use and see if it garners us any more info on agency orders. Regards 18DAI
The Following 2 Users Like Post: