View Single Post

Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
I don't think this is a place to save money.

Thankfully, other men offer comparable knives for reasonable money.
Kind of a contradiction. Even the best knife may not be good enough if your life depends on it.

Its fun to watch the equipment others carry afield. Deer camps, or diners where hunters go to eat are prime turf. Those folks you know are even more instructive. One of the most amusing are people who carry a different knife every year. I particularly enjoy the guys who need a bowie to skin a bunny or a quail. And its one way to identify a newbie right off the bat. Listen carefully when an old coot wearing a very worn looking sheath with about a 4" blade starts to speak. Chances are he's the one who put the wear on the sheath and knife.

One of my buddies bought a brand spanking/stinking new hunting jacket a few years back. He very carefully removed all the stickers and tags, then he put it out on is porch, hung over a chair for a couple of months. Under the roof so it was kind of out of the rain, but when he got around to trying it, it looked experienced!

Theres an upscale shop across the river where the Yankees and Yuppies hang out. Its a hunting and fishing shop (no guns, oh the horror). I'd be embarrassed to wear one of their high dollar coats out in the field. Those cost more than most new guns! But they sure look stylish in the overpriced coffee houses. We know the diners down near the national forest are filled with guys around 5:00 in the morning during hunting season. I'm betting the guys wearing the high-buck coats make it to Starbucks around ten-ish or so.

Fashion is in the eyes of the beer holder. A ratty old coat with a few repairs is infinitely more desirable than a brand new name brand item.

Bo Randall used to get upset when buyers of his knives mostly just salted them away, never to be used. He preferred his masterpieces be treated with respect, but that they get used regularly.