View Single Post

Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Liked 335 Times in 182 Posts

SaxonPig,the link is a excellant write up and I will have to concur with your conclusions. I shot many,many,of those loads through the sixties and seventies,and when the Super Vel became available we used plenty of that.Plenty.
There were eight of us on my department that took training seriously even then(the 70's were a tumultuous time in LE across the country.) We even practiced with hotter duty loads,even moving and shooting in those days,and lots of point shooting. We never had any issues at all in any 38's or 357 magnums with any loads we used,and we shot a lot of what we considered hot in those days,while others were simply qualifying on a PPC course semi annually with wadcutters.
The eight of us eventually went over to the Mod.39-2 autos,purchased on a department letterhead for $89.00 each.
We ran the 90 gr. Super Vels in those too,even for training purposes.Spent a lot of our own money on ammo.
Again,no adverse effects whatsoever.Not many HP loads for 9mm were available then.

I also believe,as you eloquently stated, that both gun and ammo companies today are running scared in a known litigious society and that is the catalyst for many fears of +P ammo currently.
Like yourself,I can tell that many of today's +P factory loads are not the same as some of the stuff that we used on a regular basis in those formative years of our police careers.
Thanks for that link,I had not seen it before. Very interesting.