View Single Post

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Generally speaking, I also prefer black carry guns. The problem is that there hasn't been much consistency as to the type of steel reportedly used in the black snubs. Whenever I've read that the 442, for example, uses stainless steel I'll read something else saying it's carbon steel, including S&W sources that have been cited. Until I see definitive proof that the black snubs are made with stainless steel cylinders and barrels I'll have doubts.

BTW, I don't think I've read any mention of the yoke, just the cylinders and barrels. Are the yokes supposed to be stainless steel, too?

FWIW, despite the poor performance of the aluminum coating on my 642 the stainless steel components have been holding up very well with no sign of corrosion. The only thing I've done is wipe the gun down with Break Free CLP maybe once or twice a month when I clean the gun and a quick wipe down with a dry rag at the end of the day.

Of course, I do plan on having the gun refinished in black Cera-Hide sometime in the (hopefully) near future.