View Single Post

Old 03-10-2012, 12:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default ed zachary

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge130 View Post
I think another reason for the decline in velocity of factory offerings is the evolution and improvement of the bullets. For self defense purposes you don't need maximum velocities for them to work, however for hunting purposes, it is getting harder to find good loads other than specialty rounds at a premium price.
Hi guys, I signed up just to make this point... First, I shoot daily, mostly 22, and at least 15-30 rounds of 357 a week. I prefer Rem GS 125's. They have a BRASS jacket. Brass is a mixture of copper and zinc, the zinc making the copper less malleable. So, a RGS hollow point will not physically open the same as a copper jacket in the same material at the same velocity. Because the copper expands faster, more velocity is required to acheieve similar penetration as the bullet mushrooms soon after striking an organic mass.

Now compare the original .357 158gr. LSWC (soft lead round) @1400fps vs say remington 158 jsp @1200 or so... unjacketed lead would have what I consider to be "uncontrolled expansion" at that velocity. Opening almost instantly upon impact, the velocity was needed to achieve adequate penetration with the now severely deformed projectile. Compare that to the copper jacketed round, less boom, same penetration, thanks to the "controlled expansion" provided by the new fangled copper jacket. Copper jackets provide other benefits, such as cleaner barrels and better accuracy after more shots fired. The tradeoff is obvious in 'stopping power' as defined by 'pound feet'... more on this in a moment...

With the RGS brass, opening slower, if you threw that sucker at 1500 fps (as so many seem to think is necessary) it would blow right on through a man-sized target. I am experimenting with hand loads with GS 125's cooking at 2200 fps from my M77. Penetration is NOT an issue. I plan to hunt white tail with these projectiles this fall. I will have a better Idea of real world effects then. For now I have seen one penetrate 18" of solid beeswax. The petals were lost, but the core was still in pretty good shape. Who knows could be a black bear capable bullet too. More pen tests before I go that far.

The moral of the story? It has been proven time and time again, shot placement and adequate penetration are much more important than sheer force. GS rounds open consistently and penetrate to the depth necessary, and simply put, the extra velocity, flash, and recoil are not necessary to achieve a fight stopping hit. In my opinion, for it's intended purpose, the golden saber is the most well designed projectile for its application and loading, Not to mention it's proving to be a helluva rifle bullet when shes moving fast. Wish they made them in 158's and 180's.

Don't knock it till you try it.

Last edited by McJoe; 03-10-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: removing irrelevant info. sorry for errors im on a 4" screen here.