View Single Post

Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
treerat,

I too am sorry to hear these things. I'm sure I would feel exactly the same as you do.

I'm wondering if you have tried to find any older, used Smiths? I have eight Smith revolvers, all of them older models, and all are excellent guns. Whenever I look to buy a gun, this is the route I take, and I haven't been disappointed.

Best wishes,
Andy
I too am sorry for you and the many others buying and paying big bucks for a poorly built product. This crooked barrel issue has come up many times of late. Ask a good Gunsmith their opinion on a clocked barrel and they'll tell you it's WRONG!

ALL of my S&W are older models and not one of them have a misaligned barrel. I checked them all 3 times and they all were dead on like they are supposed to be. The only one thats ever given me a problem was my 6" 57 that I shot loose after 20K rounds back in 85. Back then S&W did me right on the repairs which included recutting the forcing cone from all of them magnums. The revolver still shoots like a champ to this day.

There are not that may people who buy S&W's and are members of our forum and don't know all of the issues with the newer models. I advise anyone looking for a revolver (especially for SD) to buy an older pre lock model that can be bought for the same price or less than a newer model that may malfunction at a critical time. If they decide to buy a newer model I go with them to check it out for em. About 30% have misaligned barrels, which is a deal buster for me.

S&W's workmanship and quality control have taken a nose dive IMO, yet people keep buying them as they are new to the game in many cases. They are all not bad but way too many have issues that keep me from buying a newer model. I may be missing out on some fine weapons but the ones I have will cover the entire gamet of what I need from them in the different calibers, from .22 - .41 magnum.

If you find anything amiss with your new warranted models send them back and have them repaired. Keep doing it until the gun is right. Let S&W know they have a problem, and they do IMO with their craftsmanship and severe lack of quality control. If it causes a slight increase in money let it be as many a life is depending on the weapon working properly and protecting you and your loved one's lives.

JMHO.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: