View Single Post

Old 03-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default u missed the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdouthet View Post
Oh where to start
You really think that Hard Cast bullets have zinc in them?
Brass is an alloy of the mixture of copper and zinc and the Copper jackets on handgun bullets is all so an alloy the mixture of copper and zinc.
You talk about takedown power
.357 158gr. LSWC round @1500fps (is most likely going to be a hard cast)

vs. say Remington 158 jsp @1200
And the hard cast LSWC GC 158gr is going to kick the 158gr JSP's rear end on true takedown, kill power and penetration.

I have played with a few types and brands.
The Golden Saber 125gr HP does great for a 38spl, but for a 357mag they are junk 75% of the time the jacket comes right off on pond impact. You shoot one with a 125gr bullet and he will eat you for dinner.

If you wish me to go on I will and you will not like it.

Do as you must, but you missed the point I was trying to make.

First, thanks your pointing out a typo... I meant to say TIN in place of zinc for hard cast bullets.

Second, true brass jackets have much more zinc than 'copper' rounds, making them harder. Yes, I am fully aware of this.

Third, the only person I was arguing with was the dude who said GS are garbage. Must have been you...

A jsp at the same weight and velocity WILL have more kockdown power than a HARD CAST wadcutter. It will transfer more energy to the target when it expands. HC rounds are non expanding, kinda like fmj's. Penetration and non-expansion is their trademark. Original .357 rounds were lead. Unjacketed SOFT LEAD performs MUCH differently at magnum velocities than do jacketed bullets. I agree that a LEAD (not hard cast) wadcutter will have more knockdown than a jacketed round at the same velocity. It will also have less penetration, due to deformation, hence the need (initially) for higher velocities.

You keep changing your focus to hard cast... hard cast is for penetration. Knockdown on a HC isnt much more than an fmj at the same weight/velocity. This is an non-expanding projectile that is designed to penetrate with minimal deformation. In fact in my opinion the only reason to use HC over FMJ is because they can be made at home and at much less expense than a jacketed round. The only time you will get 'knockdown' ability from a hc is if you hit the shoulderblade, heart, or CNS. So yeah, youre wrong there, a HC will pass through where a sp/hp will transfer more nrgy to the target, while penetrating less. This is well known stuff bud. And physics are pysics, unless youre God, or an alien.

Please stop shooting your pond... its dangerous.

Did you know you can buy BONDED golden sabers? Problem solved... the bonded ones were all ive ever used so I assumed thats all that was made anymore.

I also didnt imply that a 125 gs factory round would be adequate for protection from black bears. I said a 125 grain brass jacketed projectile flying at nearly twice the speed of sound will MOST LIKELY have excellent expansion and penetration characteristics on something the size and density of a black bear for HUNTING purposes. It might also explode and not even make it through the fat and skin. I didnt tell anyone to go out and do it. I didnt say I planned to do it. I said I still have more testing to do before I even consider it. And obviously, my load for this purpose will use the bonded projectile.

The point of this thread can be found in the title... I am simply trying to give everyone MY perspective that while velocities for common 357 rounds have decreased, this is, in my experience, due to advancements in projectile technology. You simply do not need to push a jacketed bullet as hard as a non jacketed round to achieve adequate penetration. To push a 158 jacketed round as fast as the original 158 LWC is asking for overpenetration and wasted energy, both terminally, and in recoil and flash/blast.

So yea, you can say whatever you want. Youve already proven you have a hard time comprehending what you read, and I know my physics.

Last edited by McJoe; 03-10-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: clarify