View Single Post

Old 03-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Liked 420 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJUNLAWYER View Post
I think my brother from the Shreveport area nails it quite succinctly-If I see a gun that I like at a price that I want to pay, I'm gonna buy it. I keep up with the trends and know what they are going for and I also know that I by myself am not going to set the market by either paying or refusing to pay an asking price. I also have the absolute right NOT to buy or sell at a given price. The trick in this business is to be able to walk away from any deal knowing tha another one WILL come round. I've gotten some screaming deals and lost some. I've paid too much on occasion and not paid when I should have paid. It all evens out. Besides half the fun is in the hunt.
After you shoot it-ya gots to clean it
I agree with dem boys from da Bayou.

Here's my two cents worth. I joined the forum in October 2010 with the "sole" intent of researching a 4013TSW for CCW. I learned a lot and was able to purchase one from a forum member. I enjoyed the shared knowledge and information that is so generously imparted to newcomers. I didn't consider myself a "collector" as I shoot anything I own that will project a boolit. By the end of 2010 my Smiths included a coupla autos, one revolver and two antiques, one being an inherited gun from my Great Grandfather. (That's a story I'll share as soon as I can confirm certain details.)

As I followed various threads on both revolvers and autos my interests increased and I picked up certain models based mostly on what appealed to me. I started scouring the on line auctions, forum for sale adds, the newspapers and using emails and word of mouth to my more educated (gun guys) associates. The points I've learned have already been well voiced as noted in the quote by Caj.

I'd add one more caveat.

Buy high and sell low. It's been my investment strategy for years and has yet to fail me. Just remember, it doesn't matter what you collect, to sell it, regardless of what it is, you have to find someone, anyone, willing to pay your asking question.

That, and patience, will make any collecting enjoyable. I think I'll go shoot some of my collectable Smiths now!

Blessings,
Hog
Phil. 4:13

Last edited by OK Hog Shooter; 03-11-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelin
The Following User Likes This Post: