View Single Post

Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
US Veteran

Liked 84 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog28 View Post
Did you read the link I enclosed. The standard pressure 38 special back before 1972 was running at 850 to 900 fps.
I read it, and your 1972 statement is simply not true. That writter's comments have changed many times over the years. As some of his unverified statements were challenged on this and other forums, he went back and deleted those posts without explanation, and deleted those sections of his story, not using it for future posts. There is an interesting thread in the ammo section of this forum a year or two ago where myself and other LEO's from the 1960's and 70's confirm that the quoted factory velocity numbers back then were pure hype, and not obtainable with standard sidearms. The test barrel for a .357 Magnum in those days was about 11" long and unvented. In 1979 when the new requirements were implemented industry wide for velocity testing, S&W's ammo reported velocities dropped over 20%. Same ammo, just accurate numbers. While it is true that factory velocities were advertised as higher back in 1972, it is not true that they were that fast when shot out of regular revolvers.

Last edited by stiab; 03-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: