View Single Post

Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Liked 274 Times in 107 Posts

As many have said, the Great Eastern products are terrific, traditional knives. I like them a lot, and even had a chance to tour the factory. And while I will 'collect' a Great Eastern, Tidiotte(?), a Case, Queen or Boker (all terrific, I'm a sucker for a good Stag), I find I don't carry them. Lumpy in the pocket, key and coins mess it up, stuff gets in the way of access. Instead, I have gravitated to a pocket clip over the years mainly for comfort and ease of access. In this regard, I have settled on the Spydeco and Benchmade brands. Outstanding knives in terms of quality, design, purpose and performance. Both lines have a range of models, so you'll sure to find something you like in terms of cost, size and intended use. I've come to my conclusion after years of handling them (about 50 plus years of pocket knife use), gun shows and browsing dedicated knife shops; and what I naturally grab for in the morning. The different grades of steels do make a difference. Ease of sharpening, durability, holding an edge, etc. I'm not saying buy the most expensive...but for sure don't buy cheap. My current and perhaps all-time favorite is the Spyderco G-10 Dragonfly. Perfect size, lightweight, thin, exceptional steel (Japanese), and a small, strong wire clip to hold it to the pant edge. Can hardly be seen, handy to grab; and a rock solid locking mechanism. No accidents. They make a number of models in this pattern with different handles, steel, etc. This one is the Foliage Green color handles, AUS-8 steel....around $80.00 bucks. Have fun