View Single Post

Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked 6,297 Times in 2,335 Posts

The following is what I do. It works for me. I use targets with 4-6 inch square black aiming marks on off-white or buff colored paper. I staple them at first 15 yds. to check zero then move to 25 yds. to evaluate a load. I use a 6 O'clock hold. I use candle soot to blacken my front and rear sights so that I can get a good crisp sight picture. In preliminary evaluation I fire two to three six shot groups to determine which particular loads show the most promise. These I re-shoot to further determine which load is the best. For a rest I prefer to use a heavy wood table with sandbags placed on the top to make it heavy enough to be stable. In some instances I rest the barrel of the revolver on a sandbag. Other times I rest the front bottom edge of the frame on the bag. I like the S&W target stocks. So when shooting, I commonly rest the butt of the stocks on the table top with some sort of hard cardboard underneath to prevent scuffs to the grips. I fire slowly and deliberately in single-action. I do not worry about point of impact. I simply evaluate the size and shape of the groups. I also look at the composite group size and shape. This method has worked for me.