View Single Post

Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 PM

Liked 469 Times in 278 Posts

Random thoughts...

Lever guns are uniquely American.
They were invented and widely used for a reason.
America, back in the day, was the only country where the people were free, and not Subjects. As the Free People expanded west, they encountered "savages". In other parts of the Planet, regular people could not own guns, and all "savages" had already been brought under control.

In A,erica the lever action was the assault rifle of the day.

The US Military never adopted it because the ordinance people were too concerned about volume of fire and traditions.

However the "civilians" going west, facing the "savages" and outlaws ALL took to the lever action.

Fast foward to the 1950's and 1960's and even to today, TV and Movies
about "cowboys" have glamorized the lever actions.

Even today the traditional John Browning and Marlin designs far outsell the modern lever actions.

The Lever Action is an Iconic American Classic.

In todays real world of hunting, they can still bring home the bacon, as good as any rifle in a lot of hunting situations.

As a plus the traditional lever actions are a very rugged, weather resistant design. I have found the Winchesters, and Marlins plenty accurate enough for any hunting the ballistics of their cartridges are suitable for.

Also even today, especially in "assault rifle unfriendly locations, and handgun unfriendly locations", a lever action rifle, especially one in 44 Mag, 45 Colt, or 357 Mag, makes an excellent personal protection "gun".

I myself have used a Winchester 44 Mag Trapper as a traveling "gun" while on the road, and as an animal protection gun when camping in bear country.

I think that the Lever Action rifle will be around for a long time...
The Following User Likes This Post: