Thread: Adopt A Pet
View Single Post

Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Liked 870 Times in 256 Posts

Great post! I couldn't agree more. And even if you're not looking to adopt, please don't forget that most shelters operate on donations and with the help of volunteers. Food, toys, beds, blankets, bowls, leashes, collars, cash, everything is appreciated. I'd also like to add one more thought. If you are looking to adopt, please don't forget about the senior and special needs animals. So many times older dogs spend their last days in a shelter because most people want a puppy or younger dog. But seniors can make wonderful pets. I adopted a senior Doxie with special needs that had been picked up as a stray. Angel was approximately 10 years old, had to take thyroid meds daily, had a heart murmur, fatty tumors, and was almost completely deaf. But she had this look in her eye that said "please don't let me die here". The rescue manager said she was a sweet dog, even though she wasn't pretty. I thought she was beautiful. Needless to say I adopted her. Every day she showed her appreciation for giving her a home. It was obvious she loved being here as much as I loved having her. She only lived two more years, but I know those were probably the best years she had ever had. So don't walk past the seniors. They want and need a home as much as the puppys.