View Single Post

Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,719 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
If S&W did indeed ship some .45 Colt-chambered guns that had no caliber marking, why? Did they hate that much to put Colt on their barrels? Could have just marked them as .45 LC. It seems as if there'd be liability issues with not marking the caliber, even then.

And they sent out about 700 of these?!
Without a written record, I think we are left to our own devices when we speculate why or why not the Factory did something.

Regarding the 2nd Model .45 Colt I can only tell you what Roy said in his letter:

"Between April and June 1917 Smith & Wesson manufactured 700 units of this model that are listed in the manufacturing records as .45 Colt caliber. Unfortunately, the manufacture records do not record serial numbers. The shipping records for this model list in this same time period the sale of 703 units, but the shipping records do not list the caliber. I am positive that the sale of these 703 units are the .45 Colt listed in the manufacturing records. The extra 3 units could have been manufactured from revolvers that had already been assembled."

The date of Roy's letter quoted above is November 2010 so the information supersedes any printed records that I know of.

This is an interesting gun and I hope to get around to writing an article about it for the SWCA Journal.

Bob
The Following User Likes This Post: