View Single Post

Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 AM

Liked 26,292 Times in 8,839 Posts

I choose not to own a gun with an I/L on it. There are still PLENTY of used guns in perfectly good condition for the same price or less than the new ones and for the most part they are made better than the news ones as a bonus. One of the reasons I refuse to buy into the lock is that IMHO it is nothing more than a political statement which I want no part of. S&W originally did this to appease the Clinton Administration and from what I understand CAN now change if they so please. They choose not to and I choose not to buy any guns with the I/L.

Since for the MOST PART they are the only game in town regarding new Revolvers they are able to get away with it. Since the sales of Revolvers are more than likely decreasing and the sales of Semi-Auto's growing, they are more concerned being Politically Correct than practical. The younger their purchasers become the less unattractive the I/L gets, because to new gun owners they know nothing else other than the I/L.

A lot of "Gun Writers" have also caved into S&W on this matter because that is how they make their living and they are unwilling to bite the hand that feeds them so to speak. Personally I see no purpose for the I/L. It is CERTAINLY NOT a safety devise to be used when the gun is carried, and it is certainly no better than a lock through the frame or cylinder when one wants to make the gun child proof. To me, Writers that justify the I/L to their readers are just placating their "sponsors" and helping the manufacturers dupe their potential customers.
The Writer's, and people in the industry who "OK" or justify the I/L are just helping the other side gain ground by admitting that guns are too dangerous to trust people with. You will also notice that the only people who don't have to live by the silly rules and regulations as we do are the Military & Police agency's. They are exempt from most of the rules, limitations on capacities, accessories, mechanisms, magazines, etc.

Personally I see no reason to have to worry about the functioning, look, legal liability, removal, plugging up the hole etc. etc. when there are still so many beautiful and perfectly good serviceable Smiths still around. Just my opinion I realize, and I know that my opinion alone won't change Smith's game plan, but as they say........ a man has to do what he has to do.

Regards,
Chief38

Last edited by chief38; 03-20-2012 at 04:13 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: