View Single Post

Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Banned

Liked 1,190 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
Ok we are goin round and round about this stuff. I am new to this ar thing. Have one on the way. Anyway can we agree on an ammo that is still cheap to shoot and works well in most if not all the rifles? I know I have to experiment when my rifle gets here so I won't be buying 1000 rounds or anything until I know it works. I guess the question is where should I start?

thanks
Okay, my personal recommendation; it comes as a qualifier question or 2: Are you planning on using any kind of optics? If your answer is YES, follow me on this-
Get your optics you plan on using; ALL of them! (Yeah, red dot, Eotech holo, hunting scope, get them all ready to go- mounts, all that good stuff.
Get yourself some good quality hunting ammo/ match grade ammo- say 3 or 4 boxes of the stuff, depending on how many different optics you plan to use. 1 box per unit.
Get some basic xm193 or xm855 military ammo. Again, get a box per optic, or 2 since it costs less.

Start with zeroing the iron sights. (Okay, screw around and shoot the .mil surplus ammo; have a bit of fun and see that the rifle works well.)
Now, let the barrel cool a bit, and set up targets. have a spotting scope or good binos at the ready. And, a notepad:
Using .mil ammo, check the iron sights for zero. Adjust as necessary. Once on, let it cool off, set up for your optics. Put one on. Replace .mil ammo with hunting ammo. Sight in the scope as you would a hunting rifle. Slow, measured shots and let the barrel cool; do not go dropping lots of more expensive ammo. Once zeroed, switch to .mil ammo. See how it shoots relative to the hunting ammo. Take notes, and compare.
Repeat this with each optic.

After this, shoot the cheap stuff with glee.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: