View Single Post

Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 AM
US Veteran

Liked 542 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcL View Post
S&W's IL system uses extremely small parts and there are indeed documented failures. Virtually no other internal lock system has such a poor reputation. S&W should be able to construct a better IL system or simply dump it and sell the revolvers with a simple plastic coated padlock to place behind the trigger if needed.
Documented by whom? I discount magazine writers and second hand reports or opinions on the problems. I have read claims made by some that turned out to be another issue, or simply "operator headspace and timing". I know lots of S&W owners that have IL S&Ws, myself included with no problems. I also know S&W owners that have had problems with cylinder lockup, functioning issues with nonIL S&W's. It appears to me that there are a lot of people that are willing to blame the IL when it has actually not caused a problem.

Again, I purposely attempted to induce failure with mine and was unable to cause a malfunction. As you can see from other posts, some states already require a device like this.

I see no problem with it, and feel 100% confident with carrying and using it. I don't make such a statement lightly, I've carried weapons in combat environments, and understand the danger of carrying a weapon that you are not confident with. My experience with weapons is that if you learn how to use them, practice with them and maintain them, they will not let you down. When I retired I reentered the world of revolvers, and now prefer them to autos, which I used exclusively for decades. The new ILs inspire the same confidence that I had for weapons I carried as a soldier, but I understood then and understand now the responsibility I have as a shooter. I often heard complaints about the M-16/M-4 series weapons while I served, and although they are still not my favorite military rifle/carbine, I used them and was confident with them, and did not experience the issues so many others had, and it was due to improper use and maintenance, nine times out of ten. The malfuncitons that those weapons experienced were most always due to some individual failing to do their part.

I'll stack my IL 619 up against any non-IL S&W any day of the week. My guess is that IL, MIM, two-piece barrel owners will do the same or sell them. I'm not selling my 619 if that tells you anything, and I'll be the first to let anyone know if the IL causes a malfunction. If I thought it caused a problem, was useless, or caused "ugliness", I'd be the first to raise my hand. Quite the contrary, the IL has a purpose and seems to fulfill it well. As was often said when I was in the service "It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it".
The Following User Likes This Post: