View Single Post

Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff40 View Post
Another solution is to not routinely keep a round loaded in the chamber. For us average Joe's out here, do we seriously need a pistol kept in this state at all times? Can we justify it with real world statistics?
I don't think so. To each their own. If I am involved in a situation where a loaded, fire-ready pistol is the only thing that might save my life, I doubt I am going to survive the incident in the first place. It only takes a brief moment to rack the slide.
Geoff:

(Gonna pick on you.... )

This method, often called "Israeli Carry", presumes that you'll have two hands free, should there be a problem, or be skilled at "hang the rear sight off the edge of a table" sorts of techniques. On the range, for example, you may have plenty of time. In a real-world situation, not as much....

The name, allegedly, comes from the Israeli government providing (I have to add "at one time") a weapon for anybody who stopped in the local PD and asked for one. Since the mix of available guns was quite large, and quite varied, it was decided that teaching people to leave all the safety equipment OFF, and to chamber a round at the quickest possible moment. Probably better than trying to teach the average Joe how to work the safety on an M39, but it's kinda slow.

This may be a safety advantage, but it also requires a degree of situational awareness that may not be easy, not to mention a local Law Enforcement attitude that "showing the gun" is OK when you think you have a "situation". Try that around here....

Not, IMHO, a good idea....

The magazine disconnect does make the gun safer should you need to de-activate it for some reason, and is pretty quick. However, should the stuff hit the fan, actually dropping the magazine may be a problem, and you may want to retrieve it later should you find that you managed to keep the upper hand. Again, IMHO, not a really good idea.

Mom used to say "what if somebody takes your gun from you?" It's possible (seems to be more likely in "Open Carry" situations), but we are obliged to think about weapon retention. In concealed carry situations, you're probably not in much danger there anyway until you actually present the weapon. There is training available for this....

Regards,