View Single Post

Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29since14 View Post
Like all the steel Centennials, it is a heavy gun, for what it is. Otherwise, it has the usual Centennial features. They generally have good triggers and shoot well enough. I did not have the trouble with extraction that some have had, but my gun did have noticeably small throats (exit-bores). I had the throats honed to .3555-.3560 diameter to see if that would improve accuracy. Probably kind of a pointless exercise to worry too much about accuracy in this type of gun. Anyway, the gun was trouble-free and it turned out the honing was not necessary - probably not detrimental, just not necessary.

I did not like the heavy barrel profile. Some 940s were made with the light barrels, but they are hard to find. I gave up looking for a gun with one, or just for the barrel.

I think it is probably a better solution than the 640 if you are not averse to carrying speedloaders/moon-clips. If you are a speed-strip guy, the 940 is a non-starter.

The steel guns were always just too darned heavy for me. Mine weighed 24 oz. loaded, and I could substitute my 3913 for four more ounces, it was flatter (or at least it seemed to be), and it carried easier for me. If S&W would have made the gun with the lightweight frame, and if it would hold up, I would have preferred a "942" to the 940.

I have heard that some have done this conversion with a 642 and a 9mm cylinder.