View Single Post

Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Liked 2,444 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChandler View Post
No offense is taken at all! I have no experience with this kind of handgun recoil whatsoever.

Using proper recoil handling should I be able to shoot this gun all day with the wood grips pictured? Without damaging the web of my thumb? I would not be surprised if I was using poor technique. I've never had training for high power handguns.

I've shot thousands of rounds of 45 acp and 357 - but they are nothing compared to this.

Mike,

I don't know if I would say you could shoot it "all day" without discomfort, but certainly you could fire it considerably longer than you did, I would think. Training really isn't necessary, just a little practice. If most of your shooting practice to this point has been defensive in nature, or if you fire semi-autos most of the time, then that might explain why your .44 is hurting you. In defensive practice or in shooting semi-autos, we keep our arms and wrists fairly stiff so as to stay on target for fast follow-up shots or, in the case of semis, to keep from "limp-wristing" the gun and thereby cause cycling problems.

With large caliber magnum revolvers, we want our elbow bent somewhat and both elbow and wrist slightly relaxed, allowing them to flex when the gun recoils, thereby allowing the recoil to take the gun upward and backward without jarring and twisting in the hand as much as it would with our arm in a straight, stiff position. If you've seen any of the Dirty Harry films, Eastwood appears to have mastered the technique(whether the gun recoils as heavily with blanks or not, I don't know). When he fires his 29 in those films, it very much resembles the movement I've experienced with my .44, and it doesn't really cause much discomfort at all.

As others here have indicated, sometimes a different grip helps. But I think I would try the above technique and see if it doesn't help some. Then if you're still getting hurt by the gun, try a different grip.

Best wishes,
Andy

Last edited by snowman; 03-27-2012 at 06:41 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: