View Single Post

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM

Liked 227 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Gary View Post
Left side, top right corner of frame, just under the top of her 1950's diamond grips is stamped an upward pointing arrow, under that a crown, under that is 44, under that is E, and under that is what looks like II.
All these are stacked on top of each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goony View Post
The arrow should be a broad arrow (denoting government ownership). The crown over 44 is likely an inspector's acceptance mark. The E over II suggests to me Queen Elizabeth II, but that would mean the gun would have to been retained in service until at least 1952, which seems unlikely.
Hi Goony & Scary Gary,

I have one with almost the exact same markings. Broad arrow, crown, 44, E, II.

I have attached a pic that is not too clear but you can make out the 'lazy' arrow at the top then the crown, 44, E & II.

The E is the "Enfield RSAF" view mark and the II is to denote that this is a "MkII" as oposed to the New Century Triple Lock. (info taken from page 402 of Hayes Handgun Omnibus)

Mine has the number 2126 under the S&W Trade Mark and the number 3 over 24 where Scary's has the 4MD over 13. Mine also has 3.M.D. stamped on the backstrap...certainly the mark of the Austrlaian 3rd Military District (Victoria).

I have ben assuming that the 3 on mine was for the 3rd Military District (Victoria) and 24th Battalion AIF (Raised in Kooyong, Victoria). I assumed the 2126 was the rack number.

It also has the crossed penants and a "sold out of service" broad arrow mark.

I have attached the pics below

Mike

Last edited by S&W_aussie; 03-28-2012 at 12:22 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: