View Single Post

Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Liked 1,576 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2 View Post
pardon my interruption guys...

i think a laser is an overkill and a training liability that can become a crutch in place of aiming and trigger control. a laser will not make you more accurate. a laser can fail. you have to zero the laster. you have to zero your sites. for me it became too complicated what with murphy out there lurking.

i actually purchased a ct LG-405, installed it, then quickly sold it. i did find out that crimson trace is a great company who gave me a lifetime supply of batteries with my purchase. which was nice, but now it's gone.

ymmv.
I sort of agree with you but I think the laser is a great training aid for a couple reasons. It helps me with trigger control when I practice dry firing. I use the distal joint on my trigger finger for shooting double action. The "feel" of the trigger pressure on that joint has helped me steady up immensely and it has helped my hand/eye coordination a lot, too. So, it has helped make me more accurate.

This crosses over to live fire practice. When I shoot the BG38, I shoot at 7 yards using a six-inch bull. I empty the cylinder as fast as I can see or "feel" I'm on target. One cylinder with the laser on, one cylinder with the laser off. The same point and shoot kinetic memory crosses over to when shooting my naked 642 or 19 snubby (no lasers).

I'm sure in a critical self defense situation turning on the laser or looking for a little red dot is not going to be my first thought. Getting away from or stopping the threat is the idea, in my opinion, in that order. Hence the practice mode.

BTW setting the sights is easy.