View Single Post

Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Liked 2,082 Times in 606 Posts
Default Range report

Well, I got the Heavy Duty registered this morning, then we drove over to the range (after a quick stop at Italian Coffee for something to eat as we left early without eating). The revolver is a real marvel.

With the standard loading of 3.5 grains of Bullseye and a Lee 158 grain Tumble lube bullet (which weighs 162 grains with our mix) the point of impact was dead on center from a six-o'clock hold at 25 yards using an NRA D-3 target. Very nice.

Using our standard .38 Heavy Duty reload of the same bullet as above and 9.0 grains of Blue Dot (for 1,160 fps from the 4 inch barrel) point-of-impact was still center but strangely about 3 inches left. Tried several different strings with the same result, cannot explain it. One thumb easy extraction.

Using the Elmer Keith loading of 13.5 grains of 2400 and the 358429 Lyman bullet (which weighs 166 grains with our mix out of either of two 4-cavity moulds we have here) the impact was DEAD CENTER at 25 (from a six-0'clock hold). Velocity was 1,305 fps. One thumb easy extraction. Much recoil and rubbed skin off the inside of my thumb knuckle. Really snorts and bellers.

I could not be more pleased with a working Star Trek Phaser.