View Single Post

Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,390 Times in 324 Posts

I know what you are saying about Moose, I was driving my old ugly van thru the mountains of Wyoming a few years ago wearing some loose fitting moccasins because they were comfortable to drive in.

I saw a moose feeding in a creek about a hundred yards off the road so I quickly stopped grabbed my Nikon and started down the creek bank to get some nice photo’s. it was snowing lightly (late spring) and just beautiful.

A car with three girls was behind me and saw me get out with the camera so they are now trailing behind me a ways. Now these loose fitting moccasins are real loose and I had to kind of curl my toes to keep them from falling off as I was slowly moving thru the high grass and low brush getting pix of Mr. Moose.

The moose moves off and starts thru the heavily treed forest towards a meadow a bit further away from the van, the young girls are still behind me taking pix too and now I’m using all my Cherokee skills :-) to move thru the forest getting nice photo’s and impressing the ladies.

Well Mr. Moose breaks into the meadow, it is really pretty with some wild flowers and falling snow so I stop at about the tree line so I don’t spook him into running off (he has been watching me the whole time, my Cherokee skills are way past their prime) the ladies are still 100 feet back or so when Mr. Moose alerts, turns his head to look off to my left, then bolts at full clip (fast as a horse) towards the tree line to my right!

Oh man! I’m trying to think of all the things that would scare the bejesus out of a moose and none of them seem like anything I want to meet up with right now either!

I run towards the van, now a few hundred yards back and yell for the girls to run too. Those stupid moccasins are trying to come off so I’m running with my toes curled and jumping logs and rocks etc. all the while knowing we are closer to whatever scared the moose than the moose is, and going slower and louder!

I never did see what scared the moose, decided never again to go off thru the forest in ill fitting shoes & left without even saying high to the young ladies following me thru the forest.

I did get some nice photo’s but that was the days of negatives and I can’t put my fingers on them right now. I will post a photo of what I think scared the moose instead, taken years later.

The Following 2 Users Like Post: