View Single Post

Old 03-31-2012, 03:02 PM

Liked 2,082 Times in 606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M. Eick View Post
I have seen that behavior of flipping shots right and left before with certain loads in my 38/44's. I came to conclude it was really a grip question of how you were holding the gun during firing. If you shoot "interleaved" blue dot and 2400 loads, I bet you will feel a difference in the firing characteristics. Try it sometime and you will see what I think I feel which is why you are seeing the shots flip right and left.

Most of the time it is a right/left deal and not up and down for some reason.

Like the 4". I have several but I am still partial to the 5" ones myself.
Thank you, Peter. I believe you are almost certainly correct. I did not have what I would consider a really comfortable set of stocks and because of where I live my hand isn't built up to shooting powerful loads. I assume we all agree that when you add power to the equation, the difficulty in shooting well increases if one cannot practice sufficiently to maintain proficiency.

Until I got this little jewel, the only firearm I had in my possession that was capable of anything above 9 m.m. power was Phil Roettinger's Magnum and it's not something I would want to risk losing in a roadblock due to it's barrel markings, so I shot it only "now-and-then" with much less "now" than "then".

The other day, I shot 150+ rounds in the 1,165 - 1,180 fps range (162 grain Lee SWC) and about 2 dozen of the Elmer Keith loads with the 166 grain Lyman 358429 bullet. Most of the shooting other than testing P.O.I. was double-action, in fact I shot the entire 42 round N.R.A. Los Alamitos course (posting a decent 388 out of 420 with the little monster). The magna stocks ripped away the skin on the inside of my thumb knuckle.

A good friend and forum member wrote me an email lamenting the fact that my new revolver had "hurt my little hand". I cannot be sure, but I think I detected a note of friendly sarcasm there perhaps?

I have a nice set of proper Diamond Magnas on the way, as well as a T-grip. Now that I have registered the Heavy Duty, it will take two weeks or so for my permit to transport it to and from the range is ready. (On the day you register, you are permitted 24 hours to transport your newly registered firearm back to you house -- so everyone hits the range on the way home. That's the way it works here. Then you wait for your proper transport permit. This may sound draconian, but remember: most people simply assume you CANNOT shoot down here. Compared to "cannot do it", the reality of having a lot of paperwork and hoops to jump through is preferable, at least to me.)

It will take about a month for the new Magnas to get here I imagine. The T-grip is anyone's guess, but as soon as I can I shall retest and we'll see. I have a nice set of Post-War Diamond Targets I bought sometime ago with the PC magnas I have on the gun now. Perhaps a test using those will allow me to hold on a little better and see if the results change or not. (And perhaps, my "little hand" won't get so beat up.)

Cheers!