View Single Post

Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

Of course, if you are more frugal, yet still like the .45 ACP as a protection round... consider the Governor! It has basically the same construction as the 325NG: Al/Sc alloy frame, 2.75" black SS barrel, tritium Night Sight on front and fixed rear sight, uses the same moonclips, etc. Yes - it is larger - 7/8 inch longer due to it's longer black SS cylinder - which also makes it and a whopping 1.5 oz heavier, too. Of course, you do get some other ammo choices when the moonclipped .45 ACP's run out - like .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, and 2.5" .410 shotshells. Did I mention that it is over $350 less in MSRP than a 325NG or that it is available with a Crimson Trace grip?

Yep, it's bigger than my 24/7 EDC pocket protector, my 642 above. But... it is perfect for home, car, or the woods. If your quest was for an 8-shot .38/.357 Magnum, and I faced a similar decision 10/10, perhaps I can help. Size-wise, the 2 5/8" PC627 UDR is quite similar - but heavier by ten ounces. Price-wise, they are similar, too - the UDR was only a few bucks more OTD. As it is also moonclip ready and a PC Shop product, with a better trigger, etc, it was a no-brainer to me. The big orange ramp is more easily picked up in very low light than the Night Sight - at least to my 'mature' eyes.

I sold an old friend, a JM PC627 V-Comp, so I could purchase the 327NG 10/10, having picked up a UDR some six months earlier. When I went to the lgs to make the purchase - I noted the flush backside on the cylinder of the 327NG - it wasn't moonclip-ready. That was a deal killer, as the V-Comp, 627 Pro, and PC627 UDR had spoiled me. As I said, the second UDR was only a few bucks more - less than a 'Happy Meal' from McD's. I now have a UDR for the range and one for the house/car. I also got a Lobo holster for it, although I have yet to carry it.

Now - if that extra 10 oz bothers you, you can always get a couple of 5starfirearms.com's excellent machined Al speedloaders (see above) and have rapid reloads with a 327NG without resorting to having the cylinder machined and utilizing moonclips.

Stainz