View Single Post

Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,158 Times in 7,409 Posts

If he has any taste, I'd get a Winchester M-70, probably in their Featherweight Classic version. Mine's a .270, but I think he needs a .243, judging from your description. Keep in mind that VA has black bears and probably feral pigs. Both can be dangerous. Deer hunting apparently requires at least 6mm/.243 caliber, and rightly so.

Also look at the CZ line from the Czech Republic, perhaps the CZ 550 American. And look at Sako rifles, from Finland.

If he lacks the artistic soul to want a fine rifle, look at Howa and Savage products, perhaps with synthetic stocks. Howa makes the Weatherby rifles, and their basic rifle is essentially the Weatherby Vanguard, which also see. My DIL traded me a Howa 7mm-08, and I quite like it. Has a black synthetic stock.She killed a deer with it and it was DRT at about 80 yards, one shot.

Good optics aren't cheap, and I suggest the better Nikon items if money is tight. Buy Leupold for really good value, durability and performance, or Zeiss or Swarovski for the ultimate! Those who haven't used the best Euro optics in the field are usually astonished by their performance!

He should have a good binocular. It is very bad form to "glass" for game with the 'scope on the rifle! I suggest the Swift Audubon 8.5X44 roof prism model if on a budget. Nikon's best are also good. Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski are again the ultimate, if he wins a sweepstakes. I sacrificed in other areas to buy Zeiss and Leica poducts, and haven't ever regretted it, but i'm very discerning in what I buy. My binoculars must also excel in birdwatching and in astronomy.

Last edited by Texas Star; 04-02-2012 at 02:23 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: