View Single Post

Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyeopn View Post
No disrespect meant but any decent 30-06 should shoot groups less than 1" at 100 yards(which is the distance I presume you were referring to) I have a hard time with abrasives in a rifle barrel. On my WWII and even my 1918 Mauser the bores were pretty cruddy. I took a brass/bronze bore brush and wound a little steel wool in it to clean them back to bright and shiny. IMHO abrasives in a rifle bore just shorten the life of the rifle. But to each his own but remember how tiny the lands and grooves are in an AR and think about how few times you could use abrasives until you had a smoothbore.
Agreed that any good 30-06 should do an inch at 100 yds. but remember I only cleaned the barrel,no bedding , *** scope and no loading work up.
My personal Rem. 30-06 will shoot a slot one bullet wide 3 bullets high at 100 yds. My pillar bedded Sav. 30.06 will do half in. If I do my part, if any of my varmint rifles exceede 1/2 inch with junk ammo I get concerned. By the way my M-1A match rifle will do 1 in. at 100 with iron sights.
Most bench rest shooters do basic cleaning with brake cleaner and only resort to JB in last option.

Last edited by BoDog; 04-02-2012 at 06:06 PM.