View Single Post

Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Banned

Liked 1,190 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitholdtimer View Post
A buddy is looking to find a suitable rifle to help control the predators & varmints on his land in the Va. Mountains. Coyotes etc. May even be used for deer hunting. What manufacturer produces a quality rife suitable for suggested game, what caliber & please suggest a good scope too. This buddy is not on an unlimited budget. I'm not educated on the long guns and associated hardware so we need your help, Thanks
With the thoughts of hunting deer along with predator control, I will steer to the .243 over the .223. I have seen several really big bucks in Va. and a .223, though lethal, would likely result in more work tracking the animal and possibly losing it. The .223 simply does not have the KO power that I look for in a deer rifle. The .243 is barely there; a .308 is a better choice still.
I choose the .243 because you can hit flies on a **** at 200yds with them. Beavers making nuisance dams, 'yotes, and other unwanteds will be easily in the rifles' covered range.
With cost being a factor, I will vote for the Savage, or the Howa 1500. Slightly more expensive are the Remington 700 and the Winchester 70.
I own the Howa 1500, and the rifle is brutally accurate. Using box Federal 100 gr ammo, I regularly see.75MOA, and carry this to 200yds. At 300, I am seeing 1MOA. The Savage has the accu-trigger, and it is a fantastic rifle, with very good accuracy. I bought my son one, and he has been very successful- his is 30-06. The trigger is superb, and the rifle is very accurate.

Crazy as it sounds, check Wal Mart for prices. And, Dick's Sporting Goods had some awesome prices in Fredericksburg 2 weeks ago.
Good luck!!