View Single Post

Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 AM
Banned

Liked 1,190 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc View Post
This is the voice of inexperience, or indifference to ethical and humane hunting. The .223 has insufficient delivered energy at all but powder-burn range to be an humanely, effective, one-shot, dead-right-there round on deer of any subspecies, or any animal of similar size. Shoot enough coyotes, javelina, feral dogs, or etc.,weighing +/- 30 lbs., to test the theory, and you'll find that the .223 is at its upper margin of efficacy, in the hands of an expert marksman, at fairly close range, when wielded against fairly small and lightweight animals. It may be legal, in some states or circumstances, to use .223 or equivalently puny cartridges to hunt deer and similarly-sized game, but it's unethical and an embarrassment to the hunting community to endorse it.
I must say I agree with this sentiment. If....... IF a hunter were able to take 100% neck/ head shots, then a .223 is sufficient. But to consider things like property lines to not cross, clean quick kills, and swamps and impenetrable forest to dig thru, I want my game to drop right there with as little tracking as possible. I do not want them to get away injured.
Having seen a large Ca. muley take a tough to place 30-06 round 2 years ago, and the subsequent 1hr tracking job to catch up to him (He was in sight almost the whole time, and he was just so determined, he would not stop. We second shot him to end the whole fiasco) I can't endorse the little bullets for deer, or hogs.