View Single Post

Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,743 Times in 2,526 Posts

I startred carrying a poket knife in the early 60s when I was stationed in Alaska. it was a SAK just like the one on the left. I think they called it the 'Personal". When I was in Vietnam I was riding in a Huey, with my butt about 2 inches off the floor and my knees at eye level. It slipped out of the patch pocket in my jungle fatigues. I went back but couldn't find it. My wife sent me another one; the one on the left. In Vietnam I fixed the Xerox machine so well with it, it took the factory tech-rep two days to get it goign again.

I carried it a long time: the scales cracked and it was sharpened so much the point of the big blade stood up from the frame. I was finally forced to retire it when the red plastic wore to the point the edge of the metal Swiss insignia was exposed; That thing is sharper than the blade! I replaced it with the one in the middle which I still carry today, although when I'm out in the country I carry the larger one.

I'm not really happy with the SAKs, all the ones I've carried had very soft, malleable metal in the blades. However I use the tools a lot more than the blades so that's not so important to me. I've considered a Leatherman but they're a lot bulkier than the SAK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1010859.jpg (70.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Cyrano; 04-03-2012 at 11:16 PM.