View Single Post

Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 AM

Liked 229 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladder13 View Post
I think the NYPD allows the 5946 as a duty gun along with Glock 19 and Sig P226 DAO. AND revolvers are grandfathered in for the older guys.

Perhaps you mean off-duty guns? They're having a big switch right now, officers are turning in their Kahr K9's and $50 for a new G26. My FFL is inundated with NYPD coming in and switching OD's.
Don't forget the WVSP (West Virginia State Police) just made a very large order of Melonite 4566's:

Quote:
After evaluating competitive firearms, officials within the West Virginia State Police Department chose to continue using the Smith & Wesson 3rd Generation Model 4566 TSW metal frame pistols. The new firearms ordered by the department feature two new enhancements over the previously issued side arms. As requested by the department, the new pistols feature a Picatinny-style equipment rail for optional accessories and a Melonite® finish for increased durability. With the deployment of the new pistol, Department officers are currently using Smith & Wesson products for both their pistol and their patrol rifle duty firearms.

The West Virginia State Police issued the following statement regarding the new firearms:

“The West Virginia State Police Department has selected the Smith & Wesson 4566 TSW pistols in addition to the recent procurement of the Smith and Wesson M&P15 patrol rifles. Smith & Wesson’s Law Enforcement support team has been exceptional in the understanding and insight provided for the selection of these weapons for the West Virginia State Troopers. The West Virginia State Police expects to maintain this professional relationship with Smith & Wesson to ensure that its troopers are adequately equipped to help ensure the safety of the public and the law enforcement officers themselves.”
S&W also continues to make the 952. I think you will continue to see both OEM and aftermarket parts available for 3rd gens.

I would buy a Melonite 4566 in a heartbeat. They are absolutely crazy not to make some special runs of these guns, along with 3913's, 5903's, CS series, and Shorty 40's.
The Following User Likes This Post: