View Single Post

Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Liked 3,681 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgianni View Post
...Many bp cartridge shooters use 1 in 20 or 1 in 30. I don't know what the tin gives to the Brinell Hardness Number but pure is 5 bhn and ww are from 11.5-12.5 bhn. Hard cast are 16-18 bhn, water dropped are 17-19 bhn and lino is around 22 bhn.
I shoot black powder cartridges and I use 30 to 1 lead tin alloy. It has a Brinnell hardness of 9. One reason for the tin is it helps the mould fill out, especially in corners of the grease grooves. Filling out a round ball mould for a cap & ball revolver is a lot simpler.

Leading is not a problem if the bullet fits correctly. You need the bullet to carry enough lube that it is plainly evident at the muzzle to help keep the fouling soft.

I can't say for Pyrodex or any of the substitutes as all I use is real black powder. I have shot balls and conicals cast from wheelweights in replica cap and ball revolvers. With plenty of grease over them they shoot fine, no crossfires unless you are using #11 caps instead of #10's. The biggest risk to breaking the gun are not from shooting but busting the rammer trying to seat the ball.