View Single Post

Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Liked 6,618 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauergrapes View Post
I've been going back and forth with S&W for 3 months trying to get a decocker for my 4006. It's frustrating that parts are difficult to obtain.

I love the S&W autos but, I think I'm going to sell mine. I just don't see the point in owning guns I can't get parts for.
If I need a paperwieght, I'll go to Staples.
Are you talking about the optional spring-loaded, decock-only assembly? If so, that option requires either a slide modification of the older 4006's, or else a 4006TSW (which has the necessary slide modification). Both the standard manual safety and the spring-loaded version were made in both plain stainless and black finish.

Also, that option was originally designed and intended for use on LE guns, although S&W was doing modifications and installations for the occasional commercial gun (back when the 3rd gen's were still in production).

While the CHP (CA Highway Patrol) out here have that option on their 4006TSW's, and the company will stock repair parts for them, I've been told that it's not an option (parts assembly) that they're usually keeping in-stock for retail sales (to either vendors or retail customers). They might request some short production runs of that part from their vendor from time to time (and which also requires some in-house machining of the received cast parts to finish them), but don't be surprised if it becomes an "obsolete" part at some point for "retail sales".

Yes, it's a shame that S&W has mostly left the metal-framed traditional double action service pistol market to Sig and Beretta (when S&W was making it before both companies), but don't be surprised to see both of those other companies slowly shift manufacturing & sales emphasis over to their own plastic framed pistols for LE/Gov sales at some point. The costs and time involved in forging and machining metal frames simply can't be reduced to that of what's involved in making plastic frames.