View Single Post

Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Liked 6,665 Times in 2,207 Posts

They aren't "ignoring" the issue.

The possible occurrence of some of the company's MANY customer service people (who answer phones for the whole company's products/services) not having become familiar with an issue occurring in one of the MANY firearms being sold by the company has no connection to how the engineering and repair technicians are aware of, and are dealing with, any issues such as the firing pin breakage in some BG380's.

Last I heard they'd already revised the firing pin to try and eliminate the potential for a stress riser within the safety block notch. They might have done further modification by the time they actually put together an armorer program for the model line. They don't "ignore" these sorts of issues, but will continue to address them from whatever design and/or manufacturing perspectives might be required. (I could list other major, well known and respected firearm companies who have dealt with, and are currently dealing with, such issues in their own product lines. )

As an armorer I like to think I might sometimes get a little more insight into things due to info disseminated by the companies to its armorers, and I generally have more confidence in some of that info, and don't have to rely upon internet innuendo, rumor, erroneous gossip, second-hand "facts" or outright "the sky is falling" over-reactions.

There are BG380 owners/shooters out there who have had no problems with their guns. I have no doubt S&W is busy trying to figure out why not all of their customers are having the same satisfactory experiences.

The first year of a new model pistol being in the hands of the general public doesn't always go totally smoothly, you know.

In the meantime, there are other options in the .380 genre if someone prefers (some of which have developed their own group of unsatisfied owners & shooters, and then a number of satisfied folks, as well ).

Me? I tend to like my diminutive pocket-holster size guns to have revolving cylinders whenever possible.