View Single Post

Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 AM

Liked 700 Times in 392 Posts

A snubby .44 Magnum can get a little fierce to shoot. It helps to have good grips and an appropriate shooting stance.

I put Ahrends Tactical grips on my 29-8 Mountain gun. They are fairly broad across the back, to distribute the force of recoil. The backstrap is uncovered because I have small hands, and can't shoot DA very well with other grips. I find Hogue grips too narrow and are most comfortable too low relative to the bore axis.

Secondly, you can't use a stiff-armed isosceles stance - the recoil travels right up your arm and rattles your fillings, like grabbing a hot wire. I use a modified Weaver stance - straight but with elbows slightly bent. You get more motion in recoil, but less muzzle flip and a lot less felt recoil.

When I get time, I'm going to load a few hundred rounds of .44 special, 240gr LSWC. Meanwhile, I can shoot 100 rounds or more of .44 Mag before it's no longer fun. I figure if I'm going to carry a .44 Mag in bear country, I'd better learn to handle the recoil and blast.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: