View Single Post

Old 04-06-2012, 10:21 PM

Liked 14,113 Times in 5,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adayton View Post
Well... I didn't wait for the full teardown document ( and I am not sure that would have told me all the details) I ordered to arrive..., but Here's what happened... I thought it would come off like any stainless steel keeper (like on the take-apart link on a roller chain, etc...), so I inserted a thin blade under the forked end to 'lift' it up enough to rotate it off the pin and 'SNAP'!! it went... I found the small piece laying next to the pistol... It definitely is a weak point... I pride myself on being somewhat mechanical and understand physics to a certain degree...
In retrospect, I think I could have taken both pins out at the same time just by pushing them out from the other side of the weapon and that's what I will do from now on... unless the teardown document instructs me differently...
I know I have seen posts where people say 'leave well enough alone' or 'don't venture in there...just wash it out good with solvent and dry it, etc...', but I do like to learn all I can about anything I own and sometimes it comes with a small pricetag...In this case, I am not going to be able to shoot the weapon for the first time until I get a replacement, which I will order from S&W. I may just order a spare... I have a philosophy about spares that drives my wife nuts... but even though it may never be needed (as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg), I will have one readily available...

BTW, thanx to everyone for their help, comments, etc... I think I am going to enjoy being part of this forum.

OH... nearly forgot to mention... I was running around today trying to get the part and came across another 5906 at a pawn shop that looked good for less than what I paid for this one... So my wife may have one to keep in her car now... Depends on how well I like it....
happens to the best of us.