View Single Post

Old 04-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Liked 6,618 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatza View Post
Hey guys you are all puppys. I'm about to turn 77 and just purchased my first Smith semi auto (4553TSW). My plinker guns are 44Mags and a FA 454 and I want to try the Smith for a carry gun. I joined the group to see what I needed to help it out if it needed it. My supplements are Angus ribeye, six eggs and a bunch of bacon for morning starters,and a gallon of ice cream a week. 6'5" 338lbs and shoot iron sights. Real firearms are pieces of art and not made of plastic. Now I hope I didn't upset anyone because you all seem to be great with needed information and I'm sure I will be looking.
Sounds like you're a wang leather, beef & beans kind of guy? Hey, my dad was a cowboy on a working ranch in Colorado at one point when I was a youngster.

There's something to be said for blued steel and wood. No argument.

I grudgingly accepted stainless steel ... even though it doesn't look as clean, as quickly, as blued steel.

I'm not much of "breakfast" person, myself (unless "breakfast" is at noon). Coffee to face the world, and then something else if it looks like the world is still worth facing for the new day. (My nutritionist & bodybuilding trainer friend gives me some chiding over not downing a good slug of protein first thing in the morning. I've just found that strong black coffee & a good cigar seem to get those early mornings working a range session go better.)

I applaud you for your health and activity in your late 70's. Keep it up into your 90's, if you can make it work.

I took various injuries (mostly work-related) and a couple of related surgeries more or less in stride when I was younger (like I had a choice?), but once the teeth and some joints decided they weren't inclined to keep pace with the rest of the body ... and an experience with cancer which required surgery and chemo came along ... well, the whole "aging" thing made me wonder what else was hidden in the fine print. (I'll be the first to admit it beats the hell out of the alternative, though. )

Enjoy the 4553TSW. Good self-shucker. Hogue grips might help improve it a bit if your hands are as large as your height/weight might indicate. I never cared for the DAO models as much as the traditional DA models, myself, but they're pretty good when you start to compare them to other metal-framed DAO pistols.

Best regards.
fb

Last edited by Fastbolt; 04-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.