View Single Post

Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 AM

Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterlyShotgroup View Post
So all this talk about adding a buffer tube to the mp15-22 pistol got me thinking about adding a buffer tube to my rifle. As it happened, I had an extra post-ban Bushmaster carbine style buttstock. It is a fixed stock with a rifle length buffer tube (so even if you could adjust it, you'd have a buffer tube sticking out the end).

Long story short, I ended up sawing off the fake buffer tube at the point where the receiver extension starts to taper down to the fake tube. The plastic ended up being thicker than I thought it would be so I had to hollow out the receiver extension so the threads of the buffer tube would fit.

I mounted an end plate (it hangs over a little, but I figure with a moe grip it won't be too noticeable).
In any case I used PC7 heavy duty epoxy around the threads of the tube (the tube fit very snug in the receiver extension to begin with).
I also added a carbine length buffer spring and buffer. I did this in the hopes that they will jiggle around a little with each shot to give a similar sound and feel as a real AR. Between the buffer and the BCG is an insert which does not move and sits flush with the receiver extension. The BCG will sit against this just as it did with the solid wall it used to and should function properly. But tests will be the final judge of that.

I know some of you will think me foolish for trying this. I can't argue with that. It was foolish, but I just had that itch. Overall I think it looks and feels better. I do plan on painting the lower OD green. Once the glue seams are finely sanded and the weather warms, I will paint it and his should hide most imperfections in the fitment.

Here are some pictures, cheers!
There is a chance your gun won't cycle properly now. Anything that will affect the recoil will often lead to stovepiped cases in a .22LR firearm. Unlike an AR a .22 is a blowback action which needs all the recoil assist the action has to get the bolt to cycle properly. They have a relatively narrow range of bolt movement that will successfully fire and cycle the next round in the chamber. It will either work, but differently maybe or it won't work at all and you will have a nice wall ornament. If you had left the spring and buffer out it likely would still work like stock.