View Single Post

Old 04-14-2012, 01:36 AM

Liked 82 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
I have two 1911's and from what I have read the 1911 was designed to shoot ball type ammunition. I can't get HP ammo to feed reliably so all I have is ball type ammo which chamber flawlessly. Why are all ball type described as target rounds? A 230 gr projectile traveling at 890 fps and 400 + ft lbs of muzzle energy is NOT enough for self defense? What am I missing? HP's do not consistently expand according to many ballisticians. So, other than for marketing purposes, why the hype? We all know shot placement is key.

reread post #11. FWIW, all my 1911's (and have many) eat any and every JHP reliably. You need to get some work done on yours. The 1911 was designed 100 years ago before there was such a thing as hollow point. Todays 1911s are a different animal in that respect. And its certainly NOT hype when it comes to quality proven JHP ammo. Ball which doesn't expand cannot hold a candle to expanding ammo of today for stopping ability....and yes, shot placement is key when all is said and done - if one is able to guarantee it. A guarantee may not come however.

Last edited by Pote; 04-14-2012 at 01:39 AM.