View Single Post

Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

Liked 1,451 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
I have two 1911's and from what I have read the 1911 was designed to shoot ball type ammunition. I can't get HP ammo to feed reliably so all I have is ball type ammo which chamber flawlessly. Why are all ball type described as target rounds? A 230 gr projectile traveling at 890 fps and 400 + ft lbs of muzzle energy is NOT enough for self defense? What am I missing? HP's do not consistently expand according to many ballisticians. So, other than for marketing purposes, why the hype? We all know shot placement is key.
Hard ball is not useless, it's a fair stopper, around 65% if you buy some theories. However, 230 HP is a low 90's stopper. This is of course assuming correct shot placement. As others have mentioned, pass through is a huge issue with ball. Use the Pow'r Ball as others have said, it will solve you feeding issue and give you the benefits of a better round.

Consistent expansion in 230gr .45 round is a given with modern ammo. There is nothing wrong with the DPX as well, it's a good load. ASYM has a good copper load as well. My .45's are loaded with Fed HST LE's for 4-5 inch barrels and +P 230 Ranger T's for short barrels. I have no worries about these doing the job.